4 (1 1/4 pound)
lamb shanks, trimmed
olive oil, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons
freshly ground black pepper
thinly sliced onion
2 cups (1/2 inch thick)
finely chopped garlic
finely chopped peeled fresh lemon grass or lemon juice
chopped fresh cilantro leaves, divided
fat free, less sodium chicken broth
chopped fresh cilantro stems
grated lime rind
1 1/2 tablespoons
fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly score a diamond pattern into both sides of the lamb.
- Heat 1 ½ teaspoons oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Combine the salt, coriander, cumin, and pepper; rub over lamb.
- Add half of lamb shanks to pan, and cook 8 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally.
- Remove lamb from pan.
- Repeat procedure with remaining oil and lamb shanks; remove from pan.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add onion and carrot to pan, and cook for 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stiffing frequently.
- Add garlic, lemongrass or lemon juice, and Curry powder; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Return the lamb shanks to pan.
- Add ½ cup cilantro leaves, broth, cilantro stems, rind and juice; bring to boil.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 ½ hrs or until lamb shanks are tender.
- Skim fat from surface of cooking liquid with a spoon.
- Stir in ½ cup cilantro leaves.
- Remove lamb from pan, and cool slightly.
- Remove meat from bones, and discard bones.
- Return meat to pan.
- 8 servings (serving size: 3 ounces lamb and about ½ cup sauce).