The perfect sunday night supper!
chicken, about 4 lb.
2 1/2 teaspoons
freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons
chopped fresh chives
chopped fresh thyme
chopped fresh oregano
chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
chopped fresh tarragon
finely grated lemon zest
garlic cloves, finely chopped, plus 2 garlic heads, halved crosswise
butter, at room temperature
small red onions, halved through the stem end
- Preheat an oven to 450°F (220°C).
- Rinse the chicken inside and out and pat dry with paper towels. Season the chicken inside and out with the salt and pepper and place two of the lemon halves inside the chicken cavity. Tuck the wing tips behind the back and tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
- In a small bowl, stir together the chives, thyme, oregano, parsley, tarragon, lemon zest and chopped garlic. Add the butter and stir until herb mixture is well incorporated.
- Starting at the cavity, slip your fingers underneath the chicken skin and loosen it all over, being careful not to tear it and reaching as far as possible into the thigh area. Using your fingers, rub the butter mixture under the skin, distributing it as evenly as possible.
- Place the chicken, breast side up, in a sauté or fry pan and add the remaining lemons halves, garlic heads and red onions to the pan and drizzle with the olive oil. Roast the chicken until the skin is well browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, away from the bone, registers 170°F (77°C), 50 to 60 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a carving board, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Carve the chicken and serve immediately with the roasted lemons, garlic and red onions alongside. Serves 4 to 6.